Whiting? Whiting? What on earth is whiting?
It’s a fish…one of the few fish I could find at Wal-Mart that was relatively inexpensive and didn’t have sodium tripolyphosphate (spelling?) added. While not quite as innocuous in its fishiness as tilapia, when this was baked up and had the cream sauce applied, it was delicious and not fishy tasting at all.
I modified this recipe from the back of the package to be grain-free.
Grain Free Baked Whiting with Lemon Cream Sauce
4 whiting filets, thawed
1/8 c. (2 T.) of finely ground almond meal (I used a coffee grinder to grind it finer)
1/2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
ground pepper to taste
1 c. heavy cream
2 T. butter
zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Place whiting filets in a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Mix breading ingredients together and stir well.
- Sprinkle the breading mixture on both sides of each of the whiting filets.
- Bake it for 15- 20 minutes until flaky.
- While the whiting is baking, mix the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan over medium to medium low heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for three minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Serve whiting drizzled with liberal quantities of sauce. Enjoy!
Also, might I suggest serving this with Jessika’s Roasted Vegetables? They’re delicious together!!! 😀