I was craving something with noodles and coconut and chicken…so I threw this together last night for dinner. Rafe and I really liked it, as did our friend who came over early for LifeGroup. Cassie and Sarah liked the noodles…and the chicken…and the green beans…but not the peppers. Eh…I’ll take it!
They did like the different colors, though, and Cassie really, really wanted me to put “rainbow” somewhere in the title of this recipe. 🙂 (This was exciting as I’ve been trying to introduce the concept of “eating the colors” everyday.)
- 2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
- 8 oz frozen green beans (I’m sure fresh green beans and peppers would be lovely…but we’re trying to eat down our freezer before we move!) 🙂
- 8 oz frozen yellow pepper slices
- about 1/3 of a med/large red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 c. chicken broth – if you make it yourself you get the added nutrition and the subtracted MSG and excessive salt!
- Redmond Real Salt, to taste
- 1 16-oz package of rice spaghetti noodles (I really like the Tinkyada brand.)
- Arrowroot powder
- Start heating the water for the noodles.
- In a large (I used a 12″) skillet/saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium. When it’s reached cooking temp, toss the garlic and the slivered onions in and saute until soft.
- When they’re soft, add the green beans, peppers, chicken and chicken broth. Go ahead and add some salt at this point, too. Cover.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- After the beans and peppers are cooked, add some arrowroot powder to help thicken the stock into more of a sauce. Start with about 2 tsp. and stir until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the coconut milk and add salt to taste. If the noodles aren’t done yet, re-cover until ready to serve.
- Pour a spoonful or two of the chicken mixture over a serving of noodles and enjoy!
If you try it, let me know what you think!
Ever feel inspired in the kitchen? Please share some of your concoctions with me! 🙂